Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel & Courtyard by Marriott St. Petersburg Vasilievsky Hotel
February 10, 2016
Daria Sergeeva has joined the team at the St. Petersburg office of Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners as a Senior Associate in the intellectual property, technology, media, and telecommunications practice (Intellectual Property/TMT).
Daria has about 15 years of specialist experience in defending intellectual property rights and providing counsel on transactions involving intellectual property, as well as expertise in legal issues concerning IT sector regulation.
Before joining the Firm, Daria worked at several different international law firms, at Gazprom Neft, and at other major Russian companies.
“The Firm’s clients will certainly benefit from having such an experienced specialist as Daria Sergeeva on our team, and from the expansion of our practice overall. Daria will be working on intellectual property, technology, media, and telecommunications issues at the federal level, and will also have responsibility for growing our St. Petersburg practice. We see a great deal of potential in this segment of the market”, says Ivan Smirnov, Managing Partner of the St. Petersburg office of Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners.
Daria Sergeeva, Senior Associate at Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners
Daria advises Russian and foreign companies on issues regarding protecting, obtaining, and registering intellectual property rights, including trademarks and other industrial property, and on the strategic management of intellectual property portfolios. She is a recognized expert in copyright law, particularly in the fields of architecture and construction.
Daria also has significant experience of conducting due diligence and providing legal assistance for transactions involving the sale and purchase of intellectual property and companies that hold IP rights, technology transfer transactions, and drafting and concluding licensing and franchising agreements. She has a long track record of helping clients to protect commercial secrets, defend their business reputations, and curtail unfair competition.
Daria also represents clients’ interests in court disputes and in pre-trial conflict resolution.
Daria’s previous achievements include:
· Advising a major Russian company in a dispute with a foreign architectural firm regarding changes to the original architectural concept for a building while planning documentation was being drafted.
· Representing a foreign public company in a matter concerning obtaining, from a Russian company with priority, the rights to a trademark partially corresponding to its business brand. When no reasonable agreement was reached on the cost of the transaction, the client initiated litigation, during which an amicable settlement was reached on the terms originally proposed by the client.
· Representing a large manufacturer of building materials in a patent dispute in which the client was accused by a competitor of violating his rights to the patent by manufacturing one of their main products. The dispute was resolved out of court when the accusing party was convinced that no violation had occurred.
· Compiling an inventory of non-material assets for a manufacturing company in Russia and providing legal assistance in a deal to sell the company’s business.
· Advising a major foreign manufacturer on technology transfer issues arising during the relocation of production to Russia.
Prior to joining the Firm, Daria Sergeeva served as counsel at the international law firm Borenius. Before that, she worked at Gazprom Neft, JetBrains, and the law firm Mannheimer Swartling, and led the legal department of a major Russian hospitality group.
Daria graduated with honours from St. Petersburg State University, School of Law. She is fluent in English.
About the Firm
Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners is the leading national law firm in the CIS with offices in Moscow, St Petersburg, Kyiv, Minsk and associated offices in London and Washington, D.C. Founded in 1993, the firm combines extensive emerging markets experience with international professional standards. It provides the full spectrum of legal services to national and international businesses, government agencies, international organisations and financial institutions all over the CIS.