Moscow, February 2015
Goltsblat BLP: business breakfast "How to handle disputes and close deals amid the economic turbulence: topical tactics and strategy"
Goltsblat BLP, the Russian practice of BLP, and In-House Counsel Journal are delighted to invite you to a business breakfast "How to handle disputes and close deals amid the economic turbulence: topical tactics and strategy" at the Moscow City Business Centre (the precise venue will be specified later) on 18 February 2015. The event welcomes: CEOs, Chief Legal Officers, Heads and Deputy Heads of Legal and Litigation Departments/Functions.
Registration: please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying your full name, position, company and the event. Applications are accepted until 16 February 2015. The event is free of charge but not open to consulting firm personnel. For more information, please go to http://gblplaw.com/events/all/13/78961/
09:15 - 10:00 Registration and welcome coffee
10:00 - 11:20 Part 1
· Risks of litigating disputes in national courts (in the context of defendant notification and judgement enforcement in the absence of an international agreement);
· Risks entailed by an unenforceable arbitration clause / clause on submission to an international court in the fluctuating geopolitical landscape;
· Cases of "unexpected" transfer of legal arrangements to the Russian jurisdiction (recognition of a transaction as non-concluded / null and void and imposition of Russian unjust enrichment rules, consideration of a claim under foreign law in insolvency (bankruptcy) cases, imposing liability on controlling parties under Russian law);
· The best arbitration venues in terms of geopolitical risks (overview, recommendations on choosing a convenient forum, assistance from national and international courts in obtaining evidence and interim injunctions).
Varvara Knutova, Head of Group, International Arbitration, Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice, Goltsblat BLP
Dmitry Savochkin, Associate, International Arbitration, Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice, Goltsblat BLP
11:20 - 11:35 Coffee break
11:35 - 13:10 Part 2
· Common areas of dispute in transactions governed by English law documentation (shareholders’ agreements and sale and purchase agreements). Comparisons with what happened in 2008/2009;
· Сase study: Challenges of crisis asset acquisition (legal aspects).
Ian Ivory, Partner, Corporate/M&A Practice, Goltsblat BLP
Matvey Kaploukhiy, Partner, Corporate/M&A Practice, Goltsblat BLP
Nikolay Kholshev, Senior Associate, Corporate/M&A Practice, Goltsblat BLP
13:10 - 13:30 Discussion, Q&A. Closing remarks.
*The programme may be amended.
The event will be held in Russian. Ian Ivory will speak in English, with consecutive interpreting provided.
Goltsblat BLP summary
Goltsblat BLP is the Russian practice of Berwin Leighton Paisner (BLP), a leading international law firm headquartered in London, with its offices operating in major commercial and financial centres throughout the world – Moscow, Abu Dhabi, Berlin, Brussels, Dubai, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Paris, Beijing and Singapore.
As many as 100 lawyers qualified in Russian, English and US law are based in Goltsblat BLP’s office in Moscow, with the total number of lawyers in BLP’s international offices being over 800.
Goltsblat BLP's international team provides transactional support for inbound and outbound investments by Russian and international clients, offers legal support for corporate, M&A, real estate and banking and finance transactions, dispute resolution, infrastructure and other complex projects and represents its clients in multi-jurisdiction matters.
Among Goltsblat BLP's clients are over 800 companies, including major multinational investors operating in Russia (including 37 Fortune 500 clients), Russian and international banks and financial institutions andRussian industry-leading companies.
Goltsblat BLP is the winner of several most prestigious international legal awards: International Law Firm of the Year – The Lawyer European Awards 2014; Client Service Law Firm of the Year – Chambers Europe Awards for Excellence 2014; International Tax Review European Tax Awards 2014 and LexisNexis Taxation Awards 2014 (a short-list nominee); Best Client Service –The Chambers Europe Awards for Excellence 2010; International Office of the Year 2010 – The Legal Business Awards (Legal 500); Best Law Firm in Russia 2010 – ILO Client Choice Awards; Law Firm of the Year: Russia and the CIS – The Lawyer European Awards 2011 (a nominee); Best Motivation of Employees award by the Legal Success magazine. Goltsblat BLP's Real Estate & Construction and Antitrust Practices were ranked as Tier 1 in Legal 500 EMEA 2014.